Monday, February 11, 2008

Recovering From Knee Surgery

My daughter and I participated in the 2 mile Fun Run and what a wonderful experience. My daughter Trellany is friends with Ashley Denham who I believe is London's cousin and they ran a few years ago when 'London's Run' first took off. The signaficance of this year's run for us was that Trellany had major knee surgery the middle of December due to her knee cap being dislocated during her Volleyball season at Gilbert High School. This was a major knee surgery due to the fact that in order to secure he knee cap and fix it from permanently dislocating they went in and broke part of her tibia, shifted it over and then placed two screws through her knee to tie everything in place. It has been (6) weeks since her surgery and she is doing really well with all the physical therapy and strengthening exercises she is working on to rebuild her leg but we are still a long way away before she will know whether she will be able to compete in Volleyball again which is her greatest passion and she has been playing since 7th grade.

The reason I am sharing this with you is because she is a fighter just like London and there was nothing that was going to stop her from participating in the event this year. When she asked me if she could do the event I said "sure but honey you won't be able to run" and she said I know Mom but if I can just walk the 2 miles then I will have made a small contribution.

We walked the 2 miles and WOW...not only were we excited that we did it for London but it was also a milestone for Trellany to know that all the hard work she is doing with physical therapy and building her knee back up that she is progressing (slow baby steps) but to have been able to achieve this one small goal was a bright shining moment for all of us.

When she completed the walk she said to me "Mom...I want to do the 10K next year" so the goal has been set and we will proudly be back next year to walk/run for London.
Tava

No comments: