Sunday, January 31, 2010

No Big Deal

I participated in this event for the first time, and although there was confusion about the 10k course, I still thought is was a great event, and the fact that it was done for those special kids and their families, the confusion really is not that big of a deal (who has control of the rain and what it does to the courses?!). When I heard that some people were upset about this fact, it bothered me because the reason for this race is to help these families whose children are fighting real battles, so if there is a few minutes of discrepencies in timing/distance-NO BIG DEAL. A saved life and happy child I think is a little better than 10 mins. off a finishing time. Both my husband and I enjoyed this event, were impressed by the turnout, and are already planning on doing it again next year. So great work to all of you guys and I really hope that you guys get more 'good' feedback than 'not so good'. Thanks again!!

Laura Mattis

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was looking at setting up my race calendar for the coming year and was considering this race, but if this is the attitude of the organizers I don't think I will. If I train for months to beat my personal record in a distance and plan my training and conditioning to peak on race day I would be very disappointed if my time didn't count because the course wasn't marked properly. There is an entry fee. With charging a fee comes a certain responsibility to provide what you promise. That is true even if the cause the money is going toward is a good one. Mistakes and weather happen and you learn and move forward. However, "No Big Deal" is a poor attitude by those organizing the race. A saved life is more important, which is why you should want to please those who are giving money to your cause. It is easier to get people to enter a race that has a reputation for being well organized and race officials who care about a quality event. This post projects an uncaring attitude about the quality of the event. Take ownership of your problems and stop blaming those who feel they didn't get what they thought they were paying for.